CSR Research Digest – March 2012
A new report released by the Network for Business Sustainability reveals why individuals may find it difficult to make the sustainable choice and identifies what they can do to help make a decision that leads to a green outcome. Based on a review of more than 200 studies from the last 60 years, this report helps business managers understand why and how they can make decisions that will benefit their organizations long term.
- Businesses must start making sustainable decisions if they want to thrive in the future.
- A significant part of sustainability involves influencing our teams, management, customers and other stakeholders to make better choices.
- People, quite understandably, also have a hard time with confronting tradeoffs – the need to give up something they value to get something else they value but for different reasons.
- These obstacles usually steer people away from the most sustainable choice.
- The research shows people can use certain techniques to overcome the bias, which can lead to better outcomes – and more thorough processes for decision-making.
Network for Business Sustainability