CSR Research Digest – August 2012
This guide by Doughty Centre fills a gap but in the advice generally available about how to embed sustainability. It offers practical advice and insights to starters as well as to companies that have already taken their steps towards systemic CSR.
- A driver of innovatory practices in all aspects of management, CR has been the cause of some of the most creative and energising objectives, strategies, and structures to be seen in the corporate sector.
- In setting out on the journey to managing your impacts, it is helpful to set the scene: to be clear about the key terms and definitions, the drivers for change, the mindset of management, and to have a Corporate Responsibility Impact Model to help frame your analytical approach.
- You can’t manage what you don’t know: measure your impacts.
- Engage stakeholders; prioritise your impacts; do a few things well.
- Learn from your progress, accept the contribution of others – set targets for your impacts.
- Some of the challenges in identifying, prioritising and managing a company’s SEE impacts just don’t go away.
- These challenges can thwart the best laid plans and de-rail the best of intentions.
- ‘There are no free lunches’.
- This is as true in managing CR as it is in every other aspect of business management.