Social Research Digest – December 2012
The European Commission has published an introductory guide to human rights for SMEs. The report is based on the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, and translates those principles into the context of European small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Having a process in place to avoid and address negative human rights impacts will help you to identify possible areas in which legal compliance on its own does not guarantee that your company is respecting human rights.
- Such a process should therefore enable you to know where and when you may need to take action that goes beyond compliance.
- The six steps you should take to understand your risks of having negative impacts on human rights and to avoid and address such impacts:
- commit to respect human rights and embed the commitment in your business;
- identify your human rights risks;
- take action to avoid and address the risks you identify;
- enable remedy for those affected, if you are directly involved in a negative impact;
- track your progress;
- communicate about what you are doing.